Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 25 - Week 4

I could not go to bed without documenting this day!  Today was obedience class.  Sometimes I wonder if it is Eve that is in obedience or me.  Regardless, Mary was terrific today and although it sometimes feels like I'm not doing anything correctly, I  know that these classes will only help me to improve.
After the class, Rupert (puppy Purdy's raiser) offered to help me with my ongoing dilemma with Eve and traveling in the car.  Of course I took him up on his offer!  So in his truck we went.  I was in the back seat and he placed Eve in the floor of the passenger side where she is supposed to travel.
Rupert hopped in the drivers seat and before he started the car he waited to see what Eve's reaction would be.  She didn't disappoint - yelping, barking, jumping!  Well let me tell you, Rupert wasn't having any part of her shenanigans!  He gave her a good jab in the thigh and kept pushing her off the seat back onto the floor.  This went on for a good 10 minutes.  Although it sounds like it wasn't very harsh, I was in the back seat almost in tears.  However, this needs to be done!  Eve finally calmed down so Rupert started the engine and off we went for a drive.  She attempted again to jump up and bite and bark, but Rupert stayed consistent and before you knew it, she calmed down and rode silently in the truck.  WOW!  I was impressed.  Because the drive is from Ladner to downtown on the freeway I didn't want to take any chances and decided to place her in the crate for the ride home.  However as I approached my vehicle I thought, there is no time like the present to tackle this.  So I placed Eve on the floor of the passenger side and off we went.  Well what do you think happened?  NOT A PEEP came out of her the entire trip!  Unbelieveable!  I am sure she is going to test me in the near future but I'm confident that I will win this war!
We came home and I decided it was time to deal with her barking and biting using the tips Mary provided today.  Well, I still have some work to do but what a difference.  She is finally listening to me - her pack leader!  She was pretty tired this evening.  Probably from all the excitment and stress of the day.  But I am very proud of her and me!  Raising a puppy is a lot of work but I know it will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment