Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 39 - Week 6

Yesterday was an exciting day as it was the day Eve was going to the Vet to get her shots.  This meant that she could now be safe from disease at dog parks and with any other dogs.  We have waited for this day for 38 days!  Off we go to Surrey.  I left shortly after 5pm for our 7'oclock appointment.  Lots of time for me to venture to the unknown and find my way.  Well it was a good thing I did as my BC Guide dog manual had the incorrect address and I just made it on time after a quick phone call to the Vet. 
The appointment went well, Eve is pretty healthy weighing in at 31 lbs.  She had her ears checked, body checked, poop checked and then her shots.  I forgot to mention that she behaved pretty good in the long car ride to the boonies. 
We got home at 9pm, just in time for Modern Family.  At 9:30 I was exhausted and decided I'd better take Eve outside one more time before bed.  I called her to come to me and what happened next scared the living daylights out of me.  Her face was completely swollen and her left eye was totally closed and the right eye wasn't far behind.  OMG what was happening to her?  I knew it had to be the shots so I called Linda of BC Guide dogs immediately and she sent me to the drugstore for Benalyn (25mg) and told me to call her any time in the night if she got worse. 
I ran to Shoppers Drug mart in about 20 seconds flat.  I shoved the capsule down her throat and then carried my poor baby outside to do her business.  How ironic is that...my guide dog for the blind can't see!  Off to bed we went and I had a cold compress on her eyes and she fell asleep quite quickly.  She woke up at 1am and 3am and although her condition did not worsen, it wasn't looking any better either.  By 5am she seemed to be herself but still swollen in both eyes and her entire face.  But she was hungry and even though I don't feed her this early I felt horribly for my baby.  She wolfed down her food as usual and then she walked outside to do her business.  By this time she could open her eyes slightly.  She came straight back in and went right back to sleep until 7am.  By this time she was almost completely back to normal!  PHEW.  Linda called to check up on us and I informed her that all was good.  We made a note for next time she is due for shots and Linda advised that this could happen to her again if she is bitten by a spider.
I have attached a photo of her from last night.  She is not sleeping in this photo but rather these are her eyes swollen shut!  Happily and thankfully she is back to normal and we even had a massive argument this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment