Tuesday, June 19, 2012

HOME AT LAST

It has been some time since I have blogged.  I thought once Eve left that it would be the end of my journey.  Thankfully it is not!  Eve's trainer Henny, invited me to meet Eve's family and to see what she had accomplished.  On April 11, I met them and spent about 3-4 hours with them and had lunch and my eyes were opened to the journey this family is going through.  I was proud to hear that Eve had already changed their lives in such a short time.  It was sad to say goodbye again not knowing if I would ever see Eve again.  I kissed her and told her to take care of them and she pulled away from me and got into the vehicle with the kids.  In one way it broke my heart but in another way I knew my job was accomplished.  Bitter sweet so they say!

A few weeks later I received an email from her  mom.  I was thrilled!  She wants to stay in contact and it was such a relief to know that.  I have been invited to come and visit their home this summer and I can't wait.  I went to a BC Guide Dog function this past weekend and Bill Thornton made special mention of Eve.  Their 19th Autism Support Dog and the only dog who has gone to the home of 2 autistic children...twins in fact!  I smiled proudly with a couple tear drops falling from my eyes.  I still miss her!  But so happy she is home at last!  Right where she belongs!  I love you Evey!

This is a picture of Eve with her family.  One of the children walks behind Eve and has a harness around her waist which is attached to Eve and the little boy is holding on to the handle on Eve's back as their mom guides them through the mall.  I have a ton of admiration for their mother and hope Eve is bringing them exactly what they need!

No comments:

Post a Comment