Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 484 - Week 70 GOODBYE

How can you raise a puppy and then let her go in 18 months?  If I had a quarter for every time I was asked that, I'd be a wealthy girl!  My answer today?  I don't know how to say goodbye to my baby.  It hurts a lot right in my heart and soul!

Everything in life has a beginning, a middle and an end.
Today marked the end of my time with Eve but a new beginning for both of us!  484 days and 70 short weeks!
I've gone through some very difficult times in my life, like all of us do - the break up of a long term relationship, the death of my mother...and today marked another emotional, difficult day.  This time however, there is sadness and joy at the same time.  

I cried myself to sleep last night and I woke up with tears streaming down my eyes and they wouldn't stop all morning!  I couldn't stop holding my baby!  How was I going to say goodbye today?

We packed all of Eve's things...her 2-mattress high bed (all about comfort for the princess), her favourite toys, her blankets and off we went to pick up Ellen who was coming for support!  WOW did I ever need her today.  This was 100 times harder then I thought it was going to be.   My head is pounding, the tears won't stop flowing!

We arrived in Ladner and we went in to meet the trainers.  I thought I was going to be a basket case the entire time but I wasn't.  Eve will be training with Henny and as I write this she is off to her new boarding home.  She is going to a couple who have boarded before, they have 2 girls around the ages of 8 and 10 and another dog!  I think that's what made the drop-off easier.   Knowing my baby was going to a family full of people who will love her for the next 5 months and another puppy to play with.  I couldn't have asked for anymore.  I know she is probably having the time of her life right now!

Eve will begin advanced training next week and will be in a harness almost immediately.  She will be with 3 other guide dogs in her training monday to friday 9-5.  A real working girl!  

I will receive a call tonight on how she is doing but I already know what they will tell me.  Eve is just fine, it's me that misses her so much!  

Thanks to everyone who sent through their text well wishes today.  I just need a few days to get used to not having her around.  She is the best thing I have ever done in my life and she has changed me forever!

After we packed all of Eve's things into the office (OMG she sure has a lot more stuff then McGregor does!), I gave Evey another hug and lots of kisses and told her I loved her.  See you in a few months my baby!

We started our very first blog with a profile picture of Eve and I together when she was a pup.  Today I post the picture we took together yesterday in the Okanagan.  I will keep you posted as I hear about Eve's progress.

Would I do it all again....?  ABSOLUTELY!


No comments:

Post a Comment